50MHz 486s: Pure testosterone
“Remember when top-of-the-line, state-of-the-art geek heaven was a 33MHz 386? If you bought a 25MHz 486 for $7000, don’t read any further. You don’t want to know ... Extra RAM is $120 a megabyte.”
The article also includes the
Top 10 things that never happen on Star Trek:
1. McCoy says, “He’ll live, Jim.”
2. The deflector shields hold up for the duration of a battle.
3. The female alien leader declines to kiss Kirk before she sacrifices herself to save her civilisation.
4. A Starfleet emergency breaks out near the Enterprise, but fortunately some other ships in the area are able to deal with it to everyone’s satisfaction.
5. The Enterprise goes to visit a remote outpost of scientists, who are all perfectly alright.
6. The Enterprise crew are struck by a strange alien plague, for which the cure is found in the well-stocked sickbay.
7. Sulu and Chekov get to do something interesting.
8. A power surge on the bridge is rapidly and correctly diagnosed as a faulty capacitor.
9. The Enterprise is captured by a vastly superior alien intelligence which does not put the crew on trial.
10. The episode ends without Bones and Kirk laughing at Spock’s inability to understand a joke, and Spock raising his eyebrow.